(Artwork care of Karen Ramsay (www.karenramsay.com), profile photo care of brianlackeyphotography.com)

Friday, January 9, 2009

CD review - Matt Nathanson, Live at the Point

Over the holidays, I was in Davis, CA visiting relatives. We all cruised over to Borders so those with gift cards could trade them for something more entertaining than a plastic card. So, I was killing time waiting for the others when I saw this disc at Border's in Davis, CA. I didn't recognize the name, but I was still kind of interested. I went to scan it to listen to it and they didn't have this one, but they did have one of his studio albums. The sound was cool, but I was more interested in the solo album. Later, when I got home, I went out and got it (with my own plastic gift card (thanks, Dad)).

I guess he often records with a backing band, but this was a simple solo live show. In general, I really like a more austere guitar/vocal singer/songwriter thing. He can pound the crap out of his guitar, getting a sweet chimy sound. In some ways, it reminded me a little of the Rembrandts. Rhthmically he often does this fast, jerky little strum thing that reminds me of Keller Williams. Matt writes catchy personal songs with some amusing patter between songs. There's a fairly satisfying cover of Dire Straits' "Romeo and Juliet". His personality goes a long way towards selling his music for me.

Pop a Sierra Nevada pale ale on Sunday afternoon and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment